Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lazy Days

I did less today than maybe I've ever done in a day. Without having been in a hospital bed or a cast or something. The kids had a friend over - two actually, twins - and they played and I hung out in my room reading the paper, reading a book, dozing. I NEVER nap. Never. Kind of nice. I also got some stuff organized. Papers and the like. Nothing more satisfying that being organized, for me anyway.

I have an odd relationship with relaxing. I don't like it particularly. I have to force myself to do it. Makes me feel guilty. But today I kind of felt proud of myself. I left the kids to their own devices, let them do their thing, while I did mine.

I'd meant to write some chapters of this young adult book I've been propositioned to write. Once again, I failed. Couldn't do it.

I was bemoaning my laziness over dinner with my kids. "I just can't get this thing started," I said. "Why? Why can't I just do this? Am I lazy?" (I know this is ridiculous. I say I did nothing. And yet, I cleaned the house, grocery shopped, paid the bills, read the NYT, made a nice dinner of salmon & kale & rice pilaf. I'm a kook. With a capital K. In my head I know I'm not lazy. In my heart, I always worry/wonder.)

"I don't think that's it, mom. You're not lazy," said my oldest. This was on the heels of a conversation a few days ago about how men are lazy and women's aren't, according to Virgil. A subject he raised. I was torn about agreeing with him. I think there's some truth to it - my pride in the female work ethic rearing it's occasionally ugly feminist head; though certainly men aren't consistently lazy, they just like relaxing more than women, I think. The being torn comes because I certainly don't want to impugn the male gender to my two sons...hmmm what to do? Hell, he brought it up!

I'm not?

No.

Then why can't I get this started?

You don't want to write this book. Write something else.

And thus, the wisdom of our children guides us. Smart kid. And he's only 11. Imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment